Data Protection/Cyber Security is a mindset and here are the 10 actions points to consider:
- Check if you need to register for DPA – https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/register/self-assessment/ – have you renewed if is previously registered
- Consent is at the heart of GDPR (and PECR) – check your consents in every aspect of your business – do you need to update and ask for more consent – see guidelines at https://ico.org.uk/media/about-the-ico/consultations/2013551/draft-gdpr-consent-guidance-for-consultation-201703.pdf and https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1555/direct-marketing-guidance.pdf
- Take the Cyber Essentials Questionnaire and get registered if you are a small business – https://www.cyberaware.gov.uk/cyberessentials/#questionnaire
- Have you a reliable backup process and have you tested it – is it disconnected from a live system after backup (so it can’t be encrypted in you get encrypting malware)
- Register on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to check if your email address has been hacked and placed on hacker sites – which can be used for identity fraud (see BLOG article https://www.teamdiscovery.eu/identity-theft/) – check credit agency records to ensure there are no fraudulent accounts in your name as a result
- Have you changed your passwords recently – do you have a safe method to remember them?
- Have you a robust anti-virus product installed on all your devices (Windows, MAC, Android) – see av-test.org for reports on major AV suppliers – do you have a safe method to block malware infected emails before they reach the desktop (cloud based email scanning)?
- Have you latest software updates on all your devices – have you upgraded to Windows 10 if you are a windows user (Windows 7 is no longer updated)
- Have you coached yourself/staff on what to look for in malware infected emails and websites – consider adopting https://stopthinkconnect.org/ into your everyday online life
- Are you Using Microsoft Office Trust Centre to put attachments into protected mode before opening (which can allow malware to execute).
Team Discovery Ltd is a website management company helping clients grow their business through robust secure websites, search engine marketing and safe online experiences.